Week 9

There was no Status Update 8.0 on Sunday because I was on vacation.  Yay!  I had a scale where I was but didn’t want to use it in order to stay consistent in my weigh-ins.  In fact, the scale where I was said I am lighter…even after eating and with clothes on…than I am at home.  This coming Sunday, it will be time to re-weigh and re-measure for the next 4 weeks of my challenge so I will do another update then.  For now, here’s how this week went.

MONDAY:  I am in the middle of the woods in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and the nearest gym that I can use is an hour away.  Needless to say, I’m not going to the gym for a couple of days.  However, I can still have a decent workout without weights and equipment.

On Saturday, my sister and I went out in a canoe on the 400 acre private lake that my mother lives on.  We paddled around the entire thing and got some great arm, shoulder and back exercise in.  It was a beautiful, warm and sunny morning and the lake was nice and calm.  We saw a deer come to the edge of the lake for a drink.  We also saw a bald eagle and 2 blue herons.

On Sunday, we took a short walk/hike through the wooded portion of my mother’s land hoping to see some wildlife.  There are bear, moose, coyote and cougar in her region but we didn’t see anything.  The hike was still good exercise though.

After breakfast this morning, my sister and I went out on the deck and I did jumping  jacks and toe touches to warm up.  I did abs work and my sister taught me a new move for glutes.  I also did some push-ups and tricep dips.  I held 2 horseshoes in each hand (yes…I said horseshoes) and did some lateral shoulder raises.  I also used them to do some pec-dec exercises.  Then my sister and I did some leg exercises that she found in Better Homes & Gardens Magazine.  Wow!  They were a challenge.  They worked mostly glutes and hamstrings and required a LOT of balance which is not something I have in abundance.  But it was a ton of fun.  Afterward, we went for a brisk walk.

TUESDAY:  Today is the end of our short vacation and we will be traveling for several hours.  I did a short workout on the deck this morning that consisted of jumping  jacks and toe touches to warm up, followed by step-ups, calf raises, and several glute and abs floor exercises.  I also did bent-knee push ups (because I can go deeper with those) and tricep dips.  I am really sore today from the new exercises my sister and I tried.  In fact, as the day wore on I became more and more sore.  It is hard to walk right!  Tomorrow I’m back in the gym and scheduled to do my lower body workout.  We’ll see how my lower body is feeling in the morning.

WEDNESDAY:  I didn’t feel too bad getting out of bed this morning but decided to skip the lower body workout anyway and do my upper body day 1 routine instead.  I felt like I got a lot of lower body work in over the last few days but not a lot of upper.  I’m really glad I did this because my “not too bad” feeling when I first got out of bed was quickly replaced by soreness as I started to get moving.  It is STILL hard to walk right, too.  In addition, when I did my upper body routine it was harder than usual which proves I didn’t get a lot of upper body work in on my vacation.

I also didn’t get a lot of sleep last night and travel is always so difficult, especially when I spend hours in the car sitting in nearly the same position like I did yesterday.  My feet and hands swell up and I don’t eat right or drink enough.  All of this was evident in the gym this morning, too.  And….my monthly gift also arrived this morning so it’s just a trifecta of reasons to retain water.  I’m glad I have 4 days until my weight and measurement update.  Hopefully, I will have worked this all off by then.

THURSDAY:  Amazingly, I am still sore from Monday’s workout with my sister.  I’m starting to wonder just how good of shape I’m actually in after all this working out!  To make matters worse, I exacerbated it when I got into the car this morning.  I don’t know if I hit it on the belt buckle latch or if I strained it further but it was so incredibly painful I couldn’t even sit for a few minutes.  I was scheduled to do cardio today but my right side was in so much pain I decided to go easy.  I did cardio but I walked at 3.5 pace for 45 minutes.  I barely broke a sweat but I felt that muscle for most of it and all day afterward so I’m glad I didn’t go with the elliptical and push for speed.

FRIDAY:  My right glute muscle is better this morning.  Still sore but much better than yesterday.  I’m starting to have hope that by Monday it will be back to normal in time for me to start my new routine.  I am very excited about it.  I’d like to go into it feeling strong and whole.

I feel like I sort of fizzled out at the end of this last 4 weeks.  I like to finish strong and I am not feeling very strong at the moment.  I’m also concerned about my measurements coming up on Sunday because I don’t feel like my body changed much, if at all, this time around.  I guess the measuring tape and scale will tell.


Posted on August 3, 2012, in The Process and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


A great WordPress.com site

My Fascinating Life

a glimpse into the seedy world of a stay at home mom

Sustainable Health and Fitness

The road to vitality!


about all things human


Pointing to Christ: The Only True Direction

%d bloggers like this: